Quinoa is high in protein and is a complex carbohydrate; in my opinion, the best combination ever. I love cooking with quinoa, it’s so easy, and it takes on flavour so well.
Ok, so, stuffing chicken breast was a lot harder than I thought, and it didn’t help that it was late and my husband and I were both starving. When I make this dish again, I’ll be sure to prep it ahead of time and buy fresh chicken breast; not attempt to thaw out the frozen ones I had enough to slice them in half, pound them flat, and stuff them. Sheesh!
Cook Quinoa according to package directions. I use low sodium chicken broth in place of water, just for added flavour, but it’s up to you.
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic
1″ piece of ginger finely chopped
2-3 stalks celery
1 Tbsp Hoison Sauce
1 Tbsp Low sodium soy sauce
1 ½ tsp Chinese five spice powder
1 tsp black pepper
¼ tsp chili pepper
3 carrots sliced
Preheat the oven to 350
Spray a large pan with Pam, and sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent, add the ginger and cook for about 3 minutes, add in the celery and sauté until cooked through but still crispy, add in the cooked quinoa along with the hoison sauce, soy sauce, Chinese five spice, black pepper and chilli pepper, taste, adjust accordingly.
Now, the fun part!
- Have some thread handy and cut so you can tie the breast as soon roll it up;make sure your chicken breast is fresh, or thawed out completely. Slice the breast in half, lengthwise, and then pound flat.
- Take a couple of teaspoon fulls of the quinoa and place on one end of the chicken and roll it up carefully, some of the filling will fall out, no big deal. Tie it up securely and place in a baking dish ( I pan fried the ones in the photo, but in hindsight, it is WAYYY easier to bake them, you get a more even cooking of the chicken.) keep going until all your chicken is stuffed, I did about 5 breasts cut in half and we had plenty left over.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, steam the carrots and brussel sprouts
- Once your chicken is done serve on top of the remaining quinoa, alongside the carrots and brussel sprouts.